When it comes to home renovations or redecorating, selecting the best paint for skirting boards is essential for achieving a professional and polished look. Skirting boards, also known as baseboards, not only protect your walls from scuffs and damage but also serve as a subtle yet significant design element that can enhance the overall appearance of a room.
Choosing the right paint, however, can be a difficult task with countless options available on the market. In this guide, we’ve compiled the Top 5 best paint for skirting boards
- Things To Consider When Choosing The Best Paint For Skirting Boards
- Consider the Room’s Purpose and Traffic
- Embrace the Light
- Complement the Wall’s Texture
- Factor in the Color
- Functionality and Maintenance
- What Are The Different Paint Finishes For Skirting Boards?
- Satin: A Smooth, Subtle Shine
- Semi-Gloss: The Practical Performer
- Gloss: The Bold and the Beautiful
- Matte: The Understated Classic
- Eggshell: The Delicate Balance
- Top 5 Best Paint For Skirting Boards
Things To Consider When Choosing The Best Paint For Skirting Boards
A world of color and texture awaits when you embark on the journey to transform your living space with a fresh coat of paint. But before you dip your brush into that vibrant hue, it’s crucial to consider the paint finish. The perfect finish can elevate your room’s aesthetic while a hasty choice can detract from your desired look. To help you navigate this exciting yet challenging world of paint finishes, we’ve compiled a comprehensive guide filled with creativity, burstiness, and human-like charm.
Consider the Room’s Purpose and Traffic
When selecting a paint finish, think about how you use each room and how much foot traffic it receives. High-traffic areas like kitchens, bathrooms, and hallways may require durable paint finishes, such as semi-gloss or gloss paint.
These finishes are easy to clean and resist moisture, making them ideal for spaces that experience regular wear and tear. On the other hand, low-traffic areas like bedrooms and living rooms can benefit from the soothing ambiance created by matte or eggshell finishes.
Embrace the Light
As you ponder your paint finish choices, don’t forget about natural and artificial lighting. Glossy finishes reflect more light, making a room appear brighter and more spacious. Matte finishes, on the other hand, absorb light, lending a cozy, intimate feel.
Pay attention to the direction your room faces and the amount of natural light it receives. A north-facing room may benefit from a glossier finish, while a south-facing room might prefer a matte or eggshell finish.
Complement the Wall’s Texture
The current state of your walls plays a significant role in choosing the right paint finish. If your walls are smooth and blemish-free, a gloss or semi-gloss finish can accentuate their pristine condition.
However, if your walls have imperfections, matte or eggshell finishes can help camouflage any inconsistencies.
Factor in the Color
While it may not seem obvious, the color you choose can influence your paint finish decision. Light colors typically work well with matte or eggshell finishes, as they diffuse light and give the room a soft, calming effect.
Dark colors, conversely, can appear more striking and dramatic with glossier finishes, which emphasize their depth and richness.
Functionality and Maintenance
Lastly, consider the practicality of your chosen finish. High-gloss and semi-gloss finishes are stain-resistant and easy to clean, making them a great choice for rooms that require frequent maintenance.
Matte finishes, while visually appealing, can be less forgiving when it comes to scuffs and stains. However, if you’re willing to invest in premium, washable matte paints, you can enjoy the best of both worlds.
What Are The Different Paint Finishes For Skirting Boards?
Skirting boards, those often-overlooked elements of interior design, possess the untapped potential to add panache and character to your living space. Unlock the hidden potential of skirting boards by exploring popular paint finishes that can elevate them from functional to fashionable.
We take a look at the best paint types for skirting boards below:
Satin: A Smooth, Subtle Shine
Satin finishes have earned their place as a favorite among skirting board enthusiasts. Boasting a smooth, velvety texture with a subtle shine, satin finishes strike a delicate balance between matte and gloss. Their understated elegance complements a variety of interior styles and adds a touch of sophistication without drawing too much attention to the baseboards.
Semi-Gloss: The Practical Performer
Semi-gloss finishes offer a winning combination of style and practicality. With their moderate to high sheen and durable finish, semi-gloss paints resist scuffs, stains, and moisture. This makes them an ideal choice for high-traffic areas or households with pets and children. The added shine also adds a subtle contrast to your walls, giving your room depth and dimension.
Gloss: The Bold and the Beautiful
For those unafraid to make a statement, high-gloss finishes are the way to go. Glossy skirting boards reflect light, creating a dramatic and eye-catching effect. This bold choice adds visual interest and can enhance the architectural features of a room. However, glossy finishes also highlight imperfections, so it’s essential to ensure your existing skirting boards are in tip-top shape before opting for this finish.
Matte: The Understated Classic
For a timeless and understated look, consider a matte finish for your skirting boards. Matte finishes have little to no sheen, creating a soft, subtle effect that doesn’t detract from the room’s overall aesthetic. This finish is perfect for minimalistic or Scandinavian-inspired interiors, where simplicity and clean lines take center stage. Keep in mind, though, that matte finishes can be less durable and may require more frequent touch-ups.
Eggshell: The Delicate Balance
If you’re struggling to decide between matte and satin finishes, eggshell paint may be the answer to your skirting board woes. This low-sheen finish provides a hint of shine, adding depth and interest without being overpowering. Eggshell finishes are also relatively easy to clean, making them a practical choice for busy households.
Top 5 Best Paint For Skirting Boards
With an understanding of the various paint finishes and factors to weigh when selecting paint for your skirting boards, let’s delve into our top 5 choices:
1. Johnstone’s Quick Dry Wood & Metal Paint
- Quick Drying
- Low Odour
- Easy Application
- Satin Finish
- Limited Colour Range
Johnstone’s Quick Dry Satin is a high-opacity paint for skirting boards that provides a contemporary, mid-sheen finish. This water based satin paint is ideal for both interior and exterior wood and metal surfaces, making it perfect for skirting boards, doors, radiators, and staircases. The satin paint’s low-odour formulation ensures a pleasant painting experience, while its quick-drying properties allow you to complete your project efficiently.
- Water-based paint for easy application and cleanup
- Satin finish for a sleek, modern look
- Quick-drying formula: touch dry in just 1-2 hours
- Non-yellowing and low-odour formulation
- 12m² coverage per litre
- Ideal for interior wood and metal surfaces, including skirting boards, doors, radiators, and staircases
With a 12m² per liter coverage, Johnstone’s Quick Dry Satin is economical for homeowners looking to refresh their interior spaces.
The paint is easy to apply and dries to the touch in just 1-2 hours, enabling you to finish your paint job quickly and enjoy the results sooner.
Johnstone’s Quick Dry Satin is available in various colors, allowing you to choose the perfect shade to complement your home’s interior design.
The satin finish provides a smooth, even appearance that looks great on both natural wood skirting boards and MDF alternatives.
Overall, Johnstone’s Quick Dry Satin is an excellent choice for painting skirting boards, offering a quick-drying, low-odour solution with a stylish satin finish.
2. Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood Paint for Wood and Metal
- Quick Drying
- Water-Based Formula
- No Undercoat Required
- Satin Finish
- Limited Colour Options
Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood Paint is an excellent option for those looking to refresh their skirting boards, door frames, and radiators with a pure, brilliant white finish. This water-based paint dries quickly, with a 6-hour drying time, allowing you to complete your painting project efficiently.
- Water-based paint suitable for interior wood and metal surfaces
- Satin finish for a stylish appearance
- Quick drying: no undercoat required, and dry in just 6 hours
- Waterproof, ensuring durability and long-lasting results
- 12m² coverage per litre
- Ideal for door frames, skirting boards, and radiators
The satin finish provides a smooth, even appearance that looks great on both natural wood skirting boards and metal surfaces. This paint is also waterproof, ensuring durability and long-lasting results.
Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood Paint is self-undercoating, which means there’s no need to apply an undercoat before painting. This feature saves you time and effort during the painting process. Additionally, the paint is wipeable and non-yellowing, maintaining a fresh appearance over time.
3. Rust-Oleum Grey Furniture & Skirting Board Paint
- Gloss Finish
- High Pigment Formula
- No Primer or Sanding Needed
- Certified Toy Safe
- Application Technique
Rust-Oleum Gloss Furniture Paint is an excellent choice for upcycling old furniture pieces or refreshing your skirting boards, door frames, and other woodwork. This paint provides a beautiful, reflective gloss finish in a stylish Mineral Grey color, perfect for adding a contemporary touch to your home.
- Gloss paint finish for a reflective sheen on furniture, skirting boards, and door frames
- Suitable for use on multiple surfaces, including wood, metal, and stone
- High pigment, water-based formula
- No primer or sanding needed on most surfaces
- Quick drying and easy to apply
- Certified Toy Safe
- Stain resistant for long-lasting protection
The high pigment, water-based formula is easy to use and requires no primer or sanding on most surfaces. With its quick drying properties, you can create one-of-a-kind designs by applying two coats in contrasting colors and sanding and scouring when dry.
Rust-Oleum Gloss Furniture Paint is certified Toy Safe and comes in eco-friendly packaging. This durable, stain-resistant paint is suitable for use on a variety of materials, including bare or painted wood, stone, plaster, and primed metal.
Rust-Oleum Gloss Furniture Paint in Mineral Grey is a fantastic option for those looking to add a contemporary touch to their furniture, skirting boards, and door frames. With its easy-to-use, easy to clean paint, high pigment formula and certified Toy Safe properties, this paint is perfect for upgrading your home’s interior.
4. Frankie & Stone Door & Trim Paint
- Durable finish
- Aesthetic appeal
- Suitable for multiple rooms
- Versatile application
- Quick drying
- Priming required
- Multiple coats needed
Frankie & Stone Door & Trim Paint in Carbon Graphite is an excellent choice for those looking to update and refresh their interior woodwork, including skirting boards, doors, and window trims. The paint is easy to apply with either a brush or roller and dries quickly, with a recommended minimum of two coats for optimal results.
The high scuff resistance and added surface hardener make this paint suitable for high-traffic areas and protect against everyday wear and tear. The attractive satin finish gives a sophisticated and modern look to any room in the house. However, it is essential to note that priming is recommended for better adhesion results.
- Ideal for interior home improvement projects on wood and stone surfaces
- Easy to apply with a brush or roller, providing 55㎡ coverage per 5 liters
- Quick drying with a dry time of 2 to 3 hours
- High scuff resistance and added surface hardener for durability
- Suitable for use in various rooms, including living rooms, kitchens, dining rooms, and bathrooms
- Attractive satin finish in a cool carbon graphite grey color
- Works best with Frankie & Stone Acrylic Wood Primer for optimal adhesion results
The paint is easy to apply with either a brush or roller and dries quickly, with a recommended minimum of two coats for optimal results. The high scuff resistance and added surface hardener make this paint suitable for high-traffic areas and protect against everyday wear and tear.
The attractive satin finish gives a sophisticated and modern look to any room in the house. However, it is essential to note that priming is recommended for better adhesion results.
5. Frenchic Bunnikins Trim Paint for Skirting Boards
- Easy to use, with no need for a primer or topcoat
- Safe for children’s toys due to UKCA and EN 71-3 certification
- Low VOC content and odor for an eco-friendly option
- Coverage may be less on porous surfaces, requiring additional coats
- May need to apply the paint more thickly to ensure durability
The Frenchic Bunnikins Trim Paint offers a unique color blend that can transform the interior of your home. Its soft pale grey shade with a warm hint of taupe creates a calming and sophisticated atmosphere, making it ideal for various home improvement projects.
This paint is specially designed to work on a wide range of surfaces, including skirting boards, doors, radiators, and other woodwork. It is also suitable for powder-coated radiators and laminate surfaces.
- Versatile Application: This trim paint is specifically designed for a range of interior projects, including skirting boards, doors, radiators, and other woodwork. Additionally, it works well on powder-coated radiators and laminate surfaces, making it a versatile option for your home improvement needs.
- Water-based Formula: The water-based formula ensures that the paint is easy to work with and clean up after application.
- Safe for Children’s Toys: Certified by UKCA and EN 71-3, this paint is safe for use on children’s toys, making it a family-friendly choice.
- Low VOC Content and Odor: Frenchic Bunnikins Trim Paint has minimal VOC content and a low odor, making it an environmentally conscious option for home improvement projects.
- Self-Sealing and Self-Priming: This paint eliminates the need for a separate primer or topcoat, simplifying the painting process and saving time and effort.
- Durable and Scuff-Resistant: Its high scuff-resistance ensures long-lasting protection, and its durability ensures that surfaces remain beautiful and well-protected.
One of the standout features of this trim paint is its water-based formula, which ensures that the paint is easy to work with and clean up after application. The low VOC content and minimal odor make it an environmentally friendly and safe option for home improvement projects.
Additionally, it is certified by UKCA and EN 71-3 for use on children’s toys, making it a family-friendly choice.
Frenchic Bunnikins Trim Paint offers a soft satin sheen finish that not only enhances the aesthetics but also provides durability and protection for various surfaces. This paint is self-sealing and self-priming, eliminating the need for a separate primer or topcoat, thereby simplifying the painting process and saving time and effort. The high scuff resistance ensures long-lasting protection, and its durability guarantees that surface remain beautiful and well-protected.